December 14, 2010

The richest calamity in the world

When I left last Sunday the Blockbuster, a very old indigenous woman asked me if I wanted to buy a chewing gum. "No, thanks". I felt bad and asked my little brother to go back to her and give her some money. It was very cold, it was late, she was alone. And through the warm window of my car I could see her not reacting to my brother. He then told me that she was sleeping... while standing.

I just get angry when I see these poor people looking for a living while Mexico "shows off" with Carlos Slim, the richest man in the world. And unfortunately, a big calamity for Mexico, since he has shown poor interest for poverty in the country. He doesn't care of Mexico, he cares of his wallet.  He is now getting control over Ciudad Juárez (water supply, highways, bridges, estate), instead of helping solving security problems, for instance. And since he also partially controls the New York Times, they say nothing about it.

Yesterday, I had to wait more than half an hour, so I found shelter in a bakery, El Globo. I was reading, but it was impossible not the overhear a conversation between the manager and her supervisor next to me. She was complaining that the air conditioning is way too cold, specially in winter, and that all of them are forced to wear jackets at work. Not only that, but also that all of them are getting sick, and they still have to work, and customers complain because a sick baker means a sick bread-eater. The supervisor just repeated over and over again: "Well, dress up warmer". But after ten minutes, he accepted that workers from other El Globo bakeries are also rather unhappy with their jobs, etc.

Eating bread, drinking water, driving on the highway, using the phone... whatever you do in nowadays Mexico, you are making Slim richer. He laughs and shows us his middle finger! How can we stop him?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you knew that Carso operates some Highways in Mexico, a Highway in Jalisco used to charge a fee for the use of a Federal 20km Interestate (While the agreement forbid that).

Furthermore private Highway operators (not only Carso) change the info signs in order to Oblige the use of fee Highways (that, in some cases, do not represent an advantage). Thanks SCT

I have heard that some Sears (Carso) employees in Mexico earn miserably, furthermore, are obliged to pay parking spaces at a @$200 MXP per day, from them pocket... Earning the rest in coupons...

What about the Mobile carrier Telcel... and Telefonos de Mexico, very expensive for today standards and an oughfull service...

Enrique G de la G said...

Yes, highways as well...

Visitors